Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:28:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: linux-base 6.2 vs  linux-base 7

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Dinesh Nair wrote:

> have linux-base 6.2 installed and working fine for a bunch of linux
> binaries including staroffice 5.2 and netscape-linux, both from the ports
> collection. planning on trying out staroffice 6.0-beta, but it depends on
> linux_base-7.
>
> my question is if i used portsupgrade to replace linux base 6.2 with 7,
> will anything else break ? would love to hear user experiences on this
> one.

    linux_base-7 is working fine here; however, I often have to edit
the listed dependencies in ports makefiles to get them to install.  In
particular, many of them look for /compat/linux/usr/lib/ld.so
explicitly; in linux_base-7, this file is ld-2.2.2.so.

    With that done, Netscape, Opera, and StarOffice 5.2 all work just
fine.  I haven't yet tried StarOffice 6.0-beta.  I'd be interested to
know what has to be done to kludge it to install properly, aside from
replacing all references to /bin/sh to /compat/linux/bin/sh in the
install scripts.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)