Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 17:30:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Melvin Brown <melvin@gpac.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user accounts

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Melvin Brown wrote:

> Is there any way to take accounts from Solaris and place them on
> FreeBSD? If so, how is this accomplished?

Yes. Install the basic DES encryption service package, set the appropriate
links (/usr/lib/libcrypt etc.). Transfer your sun password file to the
FreeBSD box, start vipw and read the file. Insert ::0:0 just before the
user's real world name line by line. I'd prefer a query replace of `:'
with `::0:0'. If there are not too much lines, it may be practicable.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de