Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 17:19:44 +0900
From:      Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   We cannot use 'make -j' option to build the world, period.

matusita> I've found that current src/sys/modules/linux for RELENG_4
matusita> is not 'make -j' safe. It maybe causes a problem if you want
matusita> to make a module.

Long time has past and, but problem is still there.

OK, we all FreeBSD users should forget the fact that there is an
option '-j' in make(1) and it's helpful for building FreeBSD. I dunno
what it should be, but 'linux' modules breaks the existing situation.
Documentation team, you should delete some comments of this option in
cutting-edge/chapter.sgml.

Moreover, I've found that exactly the same problem is also in latest
5-current (I've tested with 'make -j 2'). Be careful that some
programs are called twice.

===> linux
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
echo "#define COMPAT_43 1" > opt_compat.h
touch opt_linux.h
touch opt_vmpage.h
perl @/kern/vnode_if.pl -h @/kern/vnode_if.src
sh @/kern/makesyscalls.sh @/i386/linux/syscalls.master @/i386/linux/syscalls.cof
sh @/kern/makesyscalls.sh @/i386/linux/syscalls.master @/i386/linux/syscalls.cof
sed -e 's|i386/linux/linux_proto\.h|linux_proto.h|g'  linux_sysent.c > linux_sysnt.c.fixup
sed -e 's|i386/linux/linux_proto\.h|linux_proto.h|g'  linux_sysent.c > linux_sysnt.c.fixup
mv -f linux_sysent.c.fixup linux_sysent.c
mv -f linux_sysent.c.fixup linux_sysent.c
cc -c -O -pipe  -D_KERNEL -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prottypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extenions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I- -I. -I@ -I@/../include -I/usr/include  -preferred-stack-boundary=2 /usr/src/sys/modules/linux/../../i386/linux/linux_genssym.c
mv: rename linux_sysent.c.fixup to linux_sysent.c: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src/release.

***

for current@freebsd.org (or hosokawa-san) only:

There is yet another compilation problem in kernel modules. A logfile
attached below comes from 'createBOOTMFS' stage of src/release/Makefile

rm -f .depend
mv -f .newdep .depend
cd ../../modules && env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/src/sys/compile/BOOTMFS/modules KMODIR= make obj all
===> 3dfx
===> 3dfx
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/modules/3dfx
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
/usr/src/sys/compile/BOOTMFS/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/3dfx created for /usr/sr/sys/modules/3dfx

Be careful, '3dfx' directory is called twice, and one of them doesn't
know that there is an obj/ directory. Maybe it is introduced by the
changes of cool and long-awaited feature of driver.conf.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA