Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:29:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Cacheable memory"??

Hi,

We're split here between whether to go with the new AMD K6-2 or the
Pentium II as our new standard build.  The pros and cons are pretty
simple:

Pentium II:

Less L2 cache (512K max)
Good, stable ASUS mainboards available (we've had excellent results with
Asus so far)
100MHz bus

AMD K6-2:

Up to 1MB L2 cache
No time-tested mainboards available (the Asus model only does 384M and
only offers 512K cache)
100MHz bus

Now how much difference does the L2 cache make in a typical web/mail/news
server?  What is meant by the term "cacheable memory"?  ie: "with 512K
cache you have 64MB cacheable memory" or "with 1M cache, you have 128MB
cacheable memory".  I've also heard things like "this motherboard can only
cache 64MB of memory"...

What does it mean?  What's the real world impact?

Thanks,

Charles

Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com