Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:47:49 +0200
From:      Pietro Cerutti <gahr@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jonathan Curtis <latiligence@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What would it take to be mentored here?

Jonathan Curtis wrote:
| Hello,

Hi Jonathan,

great to see you interested in FreeBSD :)

While I have no recipe for you, I would like to share my experience,
since when I started using FreeBSD I was exactly in the same situation
your're finding yourself right now: I was very enthusiastic and willing
to lear, help and contribute but couldn't event understand most messages
being post on technical mailing lists (you mentioned hackers@, did you?
;P ).

I started using FreeBSD for my daily tasks and realized that the
infamous man pages (yep, TFM pages) was a great source of knowledge.
I started following questions@, hackers@, current@ and stable@ and tried
to get useful information out of those. Most messages were rather
cryptic at first, but as the time passed I was able to sometimes answer
to other users' questions (although most times wrongly...).

After a while, let's say 1 year or so, I began to read through the
source code when I couldn't find the information I was looking for in
the man pages or on the mailing lists. This lead me to produce the first
~ small patches (ranging from documentation clean-ups to feature
additions to nonsense).

I got the opportunity to begin contributing more on a regular basis when
the infamous transition GCC 3.4 -> GCC 4.2 began. I happened to be quite
familiar with the C standard and GCC and I found myself interested in
fixing port which didn't build anymore because of GCC problems. That's
the field where I actually submitted most of my PRs to date. After a few
dozens PRs I was caught by the eye of a committer (miwi@, tnx!) who just
began taking care of me and my PRs. I began a ports committer a few
months later. Now I mainly contribute in fixing (old, broken,
unmaintained, unwanted, nobody-cares, crap) ports and trying to
resuscitate some interest in sparc64.

As you can see, there is no "wanted skill" or "preferred goals". The
project is large enough that your interests can probably match some
FreeBSD need. The only advice I can give you is, don't give up. As time
passes you will realize how beautiful this OS is, well structured, well
documented, with nice people working at/with it.

As an end note, please keep an eye to the project ideas for volunteers,
at http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/ , you'll likely find something
catching your attention and matching your interests there sooner or later!

Thanks, keep on!