Date:      Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:40:19 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ponderous 'make world' times post GCC 3.3...

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 04:24:01AM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> So, apparently the problem is something a bit more subtle than
> just gcc 3.3 being slower to compile than gcc 3.2.  Apparently
> the August 9th system is a lot slower at *running* than the
> early system.  Do we have some other benchmarks we could run?

This suggests that something might have been pessimized with the gcc
3.3 code generation on sparc.  i.e. when gcc 3.3 is built with gcc 3.2
(your build 2, which used the installed 3.2 compiler to build the 3.3
compiler that was then used for the remainder of the world build), it
performs well (your build 2), but when gcc 3.3 is built with gcc 3.3
it performs slowly.

I wonder if the gcc 3.3 compiler specs were set up incorrectly for
sparc.

Kris

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--