Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:45:51 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V1 #1106

> From: Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:33:17 -0600
> Subject: networking Linux <--> FreeBSD
>
> Congratulations to the FreeBSD crowd. You managed to reduce me to
> a quivering mass of nerves.  After looking through the massive
> ( lack ) of documentation :-(   , I have to do the one thing
> all grown men hate to do the most. Ask for help...

Something I hear for the first time...

> Here is something that should be rather simple.
> Connect a Linux and FreeBSD box using TCP/IP.
> I have done this with Linux <--> Linux, but,
> for the life of me, I cannot talk to the BSD machine.

Can you ping it? Can you ping the linux machine from FreeBSD? Can you
connect from the FreeBSD machine? Can FreeBSD connect to other mchines?

> My /etc/hosts files are
>
> 127.0.0.1  localhost
> 172.16.0.10  orion.whatever.com  orion
> 172.16.0.20  xenu.whatever.com  xenu
>

> my networks file is
>
> 172.16.0.0  what-net
>

> I ifconfig 172.16.0.10 ( and .20 ) to the devices eth0 and ed1
> on the 2 machines respectively.
>
> Now on the linux box, I route add orion,
> and route add what-net
>
> I am not so clear on the BSD side of things.
>
> There is a slight syntax differnece, and have read the man pages,
> etc...
>

> Also, could someone be so kind as to give me some info
> on the /etc/sysconfig file...  How is yours set up?

I think the /etc/sysconfig file is quite self-explaining... And it
automatically sets up the network interfaces to the right parameters -
provided you have told it to do so.

> A few examples could go a long way to making this the easy job I know
> it to be...

How did you install FreeBSD on that machine? As far as I remeber and have
seen, the sysinstall program allows you to set up the networking
information during set-up time.

Some excertps from the /etc/sysconfig file (I changed them to fit your
configuration :-)

Set the hosts name:

# Set to the name of your host - this is pretty important!
hostname="xenu.whatever.com"

Set up network interfaces:

#
# Set to the list of network devices on this host.  You must have an
# ifconfig_${network_interface} line for each interface listed here.
# for example:
#
#       network_interfaces="ed0 sl0 lo0"
#       ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
#       ifconfig_sl0="inet 10.0.1.0 netmask 0xffffff00"
#
network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 172.16.0.20  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"

Point out the default router:

# Set to the host you'd like set as your default router, or NO for none.
defaultrouter="172.17.1.19"

	Sander