Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 23:19:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Carey Nairn <Carey.Nairn@ccd.tas.gov.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up on HP1533A

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Carey Nairn wrote:

> I am attempting to backup on the above drive with 120m tapes.  When dump
> estimates number of tapes for a 9GB disk it suggests ridiculous numbers of
> tapes. (My estimate would be just over  2 tapes).
> The command line I used was
>
> dump 0udf 61000 /dev/nrst0 /filesystem_name

You're using the old dump options.  Look at the B and b options.

We use the following command line for a 4gb tape to backup root:

rdump 0uBbf 2000000 10 resnet2.uoregon.edu:/dev/nrst0 /

I think dump is end-of-tape smart and will properly detect the end of
tape, so our numbers here aren't quite right.

b = kilobytes per tape block <- vary this if your tape doesn't want to
stream
B = number of blocks per tape

Remove your d option, use B and b, and your tape suggestion should work
much better.

> any suggestions for a reasonable density value (or how to make the hardware
> compression work on the drive) ???

I can't say anything about compression, sorry.  Rest should work OK
though.