Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 02:01:08 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        John Plevyak <jplevyak@inktomi.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6/3 on 3.2-STABLE - PROBLEM SOLVED

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 03:44:32PM -0700, John Plevyak wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 02:33:48PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > :I am experiencing reproducible crashes with FreeBSD (3.2-STABLE) on
> > :a K6/3-450 running on an ASUS P5S-VM motherboard.  The problem is highly
> > :repeatable (happens about 1/4 of the way through compiling the kernel)
> > :and goes away if a K6/2-450 is substituted for the K6/3-450 with
> > :all other things held equal.
> >
> >     Are you overclocking your K6/3-450? Even if not, try running it
> >     at a slower clock rate.
> >
> >     If reducing the clock fixes the problem, you might have a bad
> >     cpu or you might have a grey-market cpu that was re-marked up
> >     for a higher clock speed then it can actually handle.
>

> After rechecking all the jumpers it turns out that the supplier
> had set the core voltage to 2.2V instead of 2.4V!

Interesting that the error was reproducible, if this was the cause of
it.  The problem never varied from that exact point?  I'd like to say
that I find that a testament to the precision of modern computer
hardware, but I'm still having trouble believing that the incorrect
voltage setting caused a specific, always-reproducible problem.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                   Heisenberg might have been here.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com