Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:24:20 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Opinion on cross-port OPTIONS CONFLICTS

--nextPart2288238.0iqif3Pdg9

I've recently run across some brokeness in ports that would be relatively=20
trivial to deal with if one port had a way to know about the OPTIONS anothe=
r=20
port was compiled with.

My initial thought was to register the state of OPTIONS in to /var/db/pkg. =
=20
This solves all of the problems that I know of (not that I know all of them=
,=20
but it fixes what I've found that's broken) but also involves quite a bit o=
f=20
work to the pkg_* tools.

It was suggested to me that one could set up something such that=20
CONFLICT_FILE=3Dblah which would cover the case of an OPTION in another por=
t=20
causing it to install files that it wouldn't otherwise.  This is far far=20
easier to impliment, but does not solve all of the problems I've found.

Another suggestion was to list the state of OPTIONS in the package name.  I=
=20
haven't really chewed on this one much.

Here are two examples of situations where things are broken and it's tough =
to=20
fix under the existing infrastructure:

1) random-example-app has ruby support but breaks with a threaded ruby=20
installation. (CONFLICT_FILE wouldn't help here)

2) subversion and apache22 can overwrite each other's apr if you don't tell=
=20
them about each other.   Here's an example of how to duplicate this:

   install subversion without -DWITH_APACHE2_APR so it installs it's own ap=
r.
   install apache22 and don't select use apr from ports from the menu.
   deinstall subversion.  It will complain that md5s are wrong on apr becau=
se
   apache installed it's own there.

Obviously this is doing it wrong, but in my opinion ports shouldn't be able=
 to=20
overwrite each other.

Anyways, suggestions/feedback welcome.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB