Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:02:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world on FreeBSD-stable impossible. cc1: ... signal 11

> >Hi !
> >
> >Someone with a working -stable here ?! Since weeks unable to
> >get a FreeBSD release compiled without that messages like:
> >
> >internal compiler error .... signal 11 ...
> >
> >Started with 2.0.5R ... compiled the stable kernel because of
> >AHA 2940 problems ... and what now ???
> >
> >How can I help to track down the problem ?
>
>    I don't know what the problem is - all of the test machines that I have
> -stable on are running perfectly. We're going to have a new snapshot out soon,
> so perhaps you could use this as a base instead of 2.0.5.
>    Does the above error always happen at the same spot, or is it random? What
> happens when you type 'make' again after the error?

This morning I made an interesting experience.
The make world stopped building the libraries, because there was
a control character in an include file.

c++  -pipe -O -nostdinc -I/local/FreeBSD-stable/gnu/lib/libg++/include -I/usr/include   -I/local/FreeBSD-stable/gnu/lib/libg++/include -I/usr/include/g++ -I/usr/include  -nostdinc++ -c /local/FreeBSD-stable/gnu/lib/libg++/libio/iostream.cc -o iostream.o
In file included from /local/FreeBSD-stable/gnu/lib/libg++/include/iostream.h:31,
                 from /local/FreeBSD-stable/gnu/lib/libg++/libio/iostream.cc:31:
/local/FreeBSD-stable/gnu/lib/libg++/include/streambuf.h:358: parse error at null character

Actually there was a control character in this file.
Instead of ( int something there was a ( xnt something
                                         ^--- control character

I didn't fix that and simply rebooted the machine to see, if there
is actually a problem in this file or if this might be another error.
And ... to my big surprise ... after rebooting the file was ok !!!

So, is this a hardware error or is this an OS error. I really don't
know. My kernel is -stable. The rest is 205R. I only compiled and
installed some newer maintenance programs from stable, where I thought
I makes sense, because of changes in the kernel... systat, mount
(to get the noauto flag),... But no library, compiler or assembler.

Since I had trouble in the past with SCSI termination I'll make
the following experiment ... I'll try a make world with 5 MB/sec
synchr. SCSI speed. Then I'll see, if I have still SCSI problems.

You remember ?!

	Term.                                    Term.
	AHA2940------Quantum Grand Prix-----Toshiba 3601
	didn't run and hangs quite often
	AHA2940------Toshiba 3601-----Quantum Grand Prix
	runs well so far.