Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:20:01 +0200
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>
To:        shudo@computer.org
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, john@utzweb.net, rwatson@freesbsd.org, calvin.austin@sun.com, brian@collab.net, bod@freebsdfoundation.org
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

hi,

I did not participated in this thread and won't because of many
reasons.  First off, I am technician and I don't like bringing
political steps and moves into technical projects (like FreeBSD or Java
port).  But this letter contains some points which are not
correct and I'd like to correct/comment them.  For sure both John and
Greg will add more, but...

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 09:09:04PM +0900, shudo@computer.org wrote:

> I noticed that the original purpose of the funding by FBSD Foundation
> and the actual usage of the fund are inconsistent.

[..]

> The original purpose of the funding, which is boosting the TCK work,
> is inconsistent with the following announce by Greg:
>
> | From: Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
> | To: freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
> | Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 03:44:45 +1030
> |
> | Again, I would like to thank Alexey Zelkin who has single handedly been
> | working on the 1.4 port.  I'd also like to thank the FreeBSD Foundation
> | who have provided the funding to allow Alexey to continue his work.
>
> This announce says that FBSD Foundation has provided the fund for the
> porting work of JDK 1.4.1, which does not boost the TCK work at all.

Greg is correctly stated current stage of my work, but he did not said
anything about target purpose of work for that I was contracted for.  Main
aim of my contract is to have "JDK 1.4.x passed thru TCK tests". Therefore
I don't see a ground of your words.

> Greg has been working hard on the TCK work throughout the year 2002.
> He has been improved Classic VM of JDK 1.3.1 to get it passing the

Correct.

> TCK.  Alexey's current work is porting of HotSpot VM of JDK 1.4.X.

Incorrect.  HotSpot is only part of my work.  But since HotSpot is
only JVM supported by JDK 1.4.x -- important part of work.  My current
target is make whole JDK 1.4 working.  Actually it's in good shape already,
but it require enough testing before releasing "binary" release.

> They are completely different activities.

Before starting to pass TCK tests -- we need to have working JDK or no ?

> Or, was the target of the TCK work changed into JDK 1.4.X?

No.  Greg still is working on 1.3.x.  Work for 1.3 and 1.4 is going
parallely.

> As many of you know, 1.4.X for FreeBSD has just started working and
> still immature and it will need much time to pass the TCK.  See the

My initial work on 1.4 was started back in August 2002.  I don't think
that "just started" and "6 months ago" are same statements.  Unfortunatelly
almost three months of this time I was not able to actively work on JDK
(because of leaving company which provided me hardware for working on it).
Since middle-Jan I have started to go with FBSDF and three weeks later
we have released another patchset.  If I will not hit into something
absolutely crazy with HotSpot -- we'll release next patchset (considered
as first beta, i.e. for wide testers auditory) before end of winter.

According to TCK -- next week I am going to setup environment for TCK
tests.  I.e. first pass of TCK for 1.4 tests will be completed next week.

> case of 1.3.1.  FreeBSD's 1.4.X will take more time then 1.3.1.
> Anyway, it's wasteful to abandon the work on 1.3.1.

I did not read any messages/announces about that.  Did I miss something ?

> > Both
> > Greg and Nate agreed that Alexey would be a good person for the job.
>
> I guess you mean the TCK work by `the job'.

Yes.  But looking from above it was not exactly your guess :-)