Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 00:44:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        mestery@winternet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sig 12's with user PPP

Brian Somers wrote...

> Sounds *really* like an installation thing.  Can you remove the UID
> bit on ppp and run it as root.  You should get a core with the sig 12
> - it would be interesting to know what the syscall problem is.

	I'm having trouble with ppp, except I get sig 10's and 11's.  I
also get sio overflows all the time...

sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 1)
sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 2)
pid 337 (ppp), uid 0: exited on signal 10
pid 642 (ppp), uid 0: exited on signal 11
pid 660 (ppp), uid 0: exited on signal 10
sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 3)
sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 4)

	I compiled ppp with the debugging symbols in, and took the setuid
bit off it.  Below is what happened when it crashed...gdb seems to be
unhappy.

	BTW, I'm running a SMP system as well.  (the kernel is from August
13th)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com

# gdb ppp
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) set args pluto
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/sbin/ppp pluto
User Process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
Using interface: tun0
Interactive mode
Dial attempt 1 of 1
Phone: 1234567
dial OK!
login OK!
ppp ON > Packet mode.
Warning: No password entry for this host in ppp.secret
Warning: Manipulation is allowed by anyone
ppp ON thunderdome>
PPP ON thunderdome>
Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
0x183f1 in VjCompInput (bp=
Error accessing memory address 0xefffffa4: Invalid argument.
) at /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp/vjcomp.c:143
143     }
(gdb) where
#0  0x183f1 in VjCompInput (bp=
Error accessing memory address 0xefffffa4: Invalid argument.
) at /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp/vjcomp.c:143
Error accessing memory address 0xefffff9c: Invalid argument.