Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:47:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      OZ <oz16oz2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tech Help?

Hi,

I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, and am trying to set it up to
dual boot from a Primary Slave hard drive on an HP
Pavilion 716n.  Having nothing but troubles.

I've done the Google searches, and I've spent as much
time as I can afford scouring the help sites, but
can't find any answers.  If this is not the right
forum for this question, please let me know where I
can find some help.

My Primary Master is Windows XP (on a Seagate, 80GB),
I'm trying to set up the Primary Slave as FreeBSD 4.7
Release (on a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8, 30GB).

When I go through the boot sequence for FreeBSD, it
gets stuck at:

 ad1: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
 ad0: resetting devices ..

Just hangs there indefinitely.

I found one solution through a Google search that
suggested disabling the DMA in the BIOS.  However, on
the HP Pavilion, I can't do that -- it won't allow me
to disable the DMA in the BIOS.

What can I do?  This is a fairly urgent issue, and I'm
out of ideas.  Please help.  Thanks in advance!

OZ