Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 10:46:59 -0400
From:      "Charles Peters - Tech Support" <support@tecpro.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba server - VPN - Secure Connection via Internet

Greetings,

I have a FreeBSD 4.0 server with Samba installed for purposes of
file sharing.  This server (the Samba shares) is accessible from an
internal tcp/ip network (192.168.0.x), but is not accessable from off-
site location via the internet.  I am thinking that a secure VPN
would be in order for off-site access.  I have looked into PoPToP
(from the ports collection), but I am not sure if it will meet my
needs.

All users will accessing the FreeBSD Samba server via Windows
95, Windows 98, and Windows 2000 workstations, and probably 2
or 3 systems running FreeBSD / X / KDE combinations, and/or
Linux / X / KDE combinations.  There may even be a Windows 3.1
or Macintosh workstation connected to the network.

The internal network is connected to the internet via a cable
modem connection and a FreeBSD gateway.  This gateway is
currently up and running.

My questions are as follows:

    What type of Virtual Private Networking software would be
    recommended for the situation described above?  I would like to
    set this machine up on the internal network using a 192.168.0.
    ip address.  I base this on the assumption that being on the
    internal network, the server, and the data on it, would be more
    secure.  The problem is will I be able to VPN into the server
    remotely via the internet, or will I have to use IPFW to forward
    packets from the remotely connected internet users to the
    internal Samba server.

    Would PoPToP meet my VPN needs?

    Will I need yet another utility/application to make the
    connections via the internet to the internal Samba server
    secure (such as IPSec or pipsecd)?

Thanks In Advance!

Charles

mailto:	support@tecpro.com