Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:13:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Luc Morin <luc_m@videotron.ca>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cleaning up after upgrade

I don't know about a list, clearly.. But I know that there is a perl
script that compares the two directories...

In fact, you should take a look at:

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

It looks like this:

Backup the existing /etc:
# cp -Rp /etc /etc.old
// Recreate a dummy set of dirs:
# mkdir /var/tmp/root
# cd /usr/src/etc
# make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/root distrib-dirs distribution
// Delete unecessary directories:
# cd /var/tmp/root
# find -d . -type d | /usr/bin/perl -lne \
  'opendir(D,$_);@f=readdir(D);rmdir if $#f == 1;closedir(D);'

// Then use the perl script available at:
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/dircmp.pl (I
think)... if not it's on the Clayton's page...
# perl dircmp.pl
// then you have a nice output like:
   DIFFER: /etc/defaults
   DIFFER: /etc/periodic
[...]
IGNORING: group
IGNORING: hosts
[..]
OBSOLETE?: /etc/rc.conf
OBSOLETE?: /etc/fstab
[...]
Suggestions:
diff -c /etc/defaults /var/tmp/root/etc/defaults
diff -c /etc/periodic /var/tmp/root/etc/periodic
[...]
diff -c /etc/pccard.conf.sample /var/tmp/root/etc/pccard.conf.sample
cp /var/tmp/root/etc/rc.isdn /etc
[...]
diff -c /etc/pwd.db /var/tmp/root/etc/pwd.db
rm /etc/rc.conf
[...]

Nice, uh?

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Luc Morin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just upgraded my 2.2.8-stable system to 3.1-stable. Everything
> seems to be in good shape so far.
>
> I have noticed that some stuff has moved (rc.* files for instance) and
> that new stuff has been added. I'd like to know if and where I could
> find a list of the changes so that I can start cleaning up old/obsolete
> stuff from my system.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Luc Morin    <luc_m@videotron.ca>
> Electrical Engineering Technologist

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home