Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:17:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        John Chris Wren <jcwren@jcwren.com>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, James Buchanan <gnudev@ozemail.com.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Software on FreeBSD (Has FBSD4.4 grown up yet)

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Chip wrote:

> This thread comes up quite often, and somewhere along the line someone has to
> bring mom into the picture. Well, mom ain't gonna run FBSD or Linux, she's
> gonna be happy with win95, if she uses a computer at all. It doesn't need to
> be that easy, it's not meant to be used by mom, that's not the purpose or aim
> of these OS's.
> I just think you're making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. It's
> just not as difficult as you make it out to be, and I hope you don't scare
> the original poster away with your negative attitude on FreeBSD. Anyone with
> the least bit of technical awareness can install and set up a FBSD box
> without many problems, if any at all. I've seen it done before by complete
> newbies. It's just not that difficult.

I'd like to agree! If someone posts on this list and asks a few questions
about FreeBSD because he is interested to give it a try, the *most
unitelligent* we can do is tell the newbie something like: "Go away, you
won't be able to use it, 'cause it's much to difficult for ya!". Instead,
we should probably point new users to the appropriate docs and offer them
some help with their questions - I thought that's what this mailing list
is about (although, of course, questions from advanced users are also
discussed here...)

Just my $.02...

Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org