Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:49:29 -0500
From:      Raul Zighelboim <mango@staff.communique.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   about MAXDSIZ and DFLDSIZ under 2.2.2-RELEASE

Hello there...

	I am running a news server with 256megs or ram.  At some point
every morning, afer running news.daily, the server has been crashing
with the message:

SERVER cant remalloc 16323584 bytes Cannot allocate memory

I think I should be able to prevent this from happening by allowing news
processes to use as much memory as they want (does this include swap
space ?) witht he two options:

#options         "MAXDSIZ=(256*1024*1024)"
#options         "DFLDSIZ=(256*1024*1024)"

but as it happens, whenever I enable them, nothing other than the kernel
will be able to run, with the message 'not enough memory to run
application' '-)

I cannot find instructions anywhere (except under LINT) for this
options.

So, the question:  What is the correct format of these options, and how
do I build the kernel to allow inn (and other news processes) to use as
much memory as they want (as long as they dont crash the system), while
at the same time allowing me to run code (inn, for example) on thte
server ?

Thanks.