Date:      Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:24:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Joel Hatton <j.hatton@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: index generation error

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Joel Hatton wrote:

> I've had an index generation error for a couple of days. I'm running
> the standard supfile for ports, and cvsup'ing from a local mirror.

If that's the case, you almost surely want to run 'make fetchindex'
which will fetch a copy of /usr/ports/INDEX that will reflect the
latest metadata for ports.  It is continually updated.

Since we went to that technology a few months ago, it obviated the
need for most people to build their own copies of INDEX.  (Exceptions
include people that use non-default site options that change the
dependencies, and sites that refuse any port or category.)

There is a little bit of cvsup magic that is (or was) necessary to
avoid the INDEX file automatically being deleted on updates.  Please
see /usr/ports/UPDATING for more information about all of this.

mcl