Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:51:46 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What do folks think of the following patch?

> I would like a make world to also install etc if the DESTDIR is not /
> I often make images of systems and want /etc to be rebuilt as well, but
> it never is..

Maybe once a little more work is done to "localize" the contents of
/etc a bit more, I'll endorse this idea.

Right now, however, there are a few too many /etc files that are often
locally hacked and for which I wouldn't want to see the local changes
go away.  A successful automated merge would also take someone writing
a script smart enough to do the job safely and reliably every single
time, something I'm not going to hold my breath on - it's hard.
Similarly, not updating your /etc/sysconfig but updating your
/etc/netstart (say) can also get you into grief when some calling
convention changes and you've now just broken yourself by updating
only one half of the equation.

However, here's another instance where my /etc/Makefile idea would
help you - you could use it for keeping your own /etc migrated with
each make world by hooking in some custom Elischer script to do the
deed. :-)

						Jordan