Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:43:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <david@sparks.net>
To:        Chuck Youse <cyouse@hecate.syncom.net>
Cc:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2/300 problem

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Chuck Youse wrote:

> Generally this problem can be associated with defective memory.  Or, in
> some systems, mixing memory types.
>
> I had a Dual P2/300 system that exhibited similar symptoms with regard to
> compilations.  When I removed the a pair of 16 meg SIMMs (leaving just the
> 64MB SDRAM) the problem went away.  The SIMMs tested OK, so the problems
> must have resulted from the mixture.

A mixture is generally a bad things I believe.  In this case I'm pretty
certain that it's slow memory.  I slowed the bus down to 83 MHz amd bumped
the multiplier to four, resulting in a CPU rate of 333 MHz.  This seems to
work fine, so I'll run with it for a while.

Thanks for all the help.  Its nice to know it's not a K6 compatibility
problem:)

--- David