Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:19:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Galbraith <john@ece.arizona.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        john@magpie.ece.arizona.edu
Subject:   New MIDI driver for MOTU Midi Express XT

I have hacked up a new MIDI driver that works with a product from Mark
of the Unicorn called "Midi Express XT".  It is available at:
   http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~john/drivers.html

This machine is a MIDI merger, MIDI computer interface, MIDI
coprocessor, and a SMPTE timecode generator/converter.  MOTU built the
thing to be used with their own software that originally ran on the
Mac, and now Windoze.  Hopefully we will start to see some open source
software that uses it too.  This machine is much more sophisticated
than a MPU-401 interface, but is similar to it in function.

I have also provided some timing diagrams for anybody who wants to
write their own driver.  Please let me know of any problems with it
whatsoever, so I can get it fixed.  Plus, I would like to know if
anybody else is remotely interested in this.

Thanks!
	John

--
John Galbraith              	  email: john@ece.arizona.edu
University of Arizona, 		  home phone: (520) 327-6074

"As had been true historically, Gates' concern was not making great
 products, but keeping the world locked into using his products."
    --- Wendy Goldman Rohm, The Microsoft File