Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 01:15:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Larry S. Marso" <lsmarso@panix.com>, Natasha Hendrick <natasha@baldrick.geoph.uq.edu.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Word processors under FreeBSD

Greg Lehey writes:
 > On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 09:37:16AM -0400, Larry S. Marso wrote:
 > > In addition to StarOffice and Applix, which I'd categorize as poor "Word
 > > clones",
 >
 > I just received the September issue of the German magazine c't, which
 > includes a test of several word processors, including StarOffice and
 > Microsoft Word.  StarOffice gets quite good marks, not as good as
 > Frame (the winner).  Word is disqualified for bugs, but even without
 > them, doesn't get as good marks as StarOffice.

I suspect c't was reviewing the Windows version of StarOffice.  I was
reading StarDivision's news groups, and one thing that came up was
that the Linux version of StarWrite doesn't support additonal Type 1
(postscript) fonts out of their basic set very well.  Someone came up
with a kludgy method that seems to work (among other things, he munged
the .afm files because swrite3 doesn't parse them correctly), but
there's no official support for it.