Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:59:38 +0000
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        killing@multiplay.co.uk, PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au
Cc:        rerowe@rerowe.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel cpu entries

> UTSL: The i586 optimised routines were only ever enabled if the CPU
> was identified as a 586.  And these routines have been disabled since
> mid-2001.  See my mail in the "Odd performance problems..."  thread
> for more details.

Got some curiuous results when I tested this today by the way.
I have a twin processor PIII machine. Did a parallel compile on
it. The actuall wall clock time is faster when I add the 586
back in. *but* if you look at the user and system times, the
user time has dropped slightly, but the system tme has gone up
a lot. So its doing more work, but with a slghtly greater amount
of parallelism allow it to finish faster in real time.

Can anyone explain that ????

-pete,.