Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 05:00:24 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

At 10:08 PM -0600 2/20/98, Greg Lehey wrote:

>There's a delicate balance here:
>
>- If people commit only perfect code, the result is -STABLE, not
>  -CURRENT.  While that doesn't sound bad in itself, it means
>  significant delays to any commit.
>
>- If people commit only code which breaks a 'make world', nobody will
>  ever get -CURRENT installed.  Even if it only happens 50% of the
>  time, it will frustate a large number of users to the point where
>  they can't be bothered any more.
>
>The problem with both of these extremes...

>You could say "John should test his changes better before commiting
>them".  But that's not always possible.  The bugs don't break things
>for him.  -CURRENT's there exactly for that.

Here, I disagree. "Jane" may not be able to test ALL cases. However,
she SHOULD have already tested at least one.

If the code does not, at the least, compile and run in the "generic"
case, it is IMHO, not ready for "-current". The -CURRENT tree is where
it gets a wider testing audience. By the time that it goes to -STABLE,
it SHOULD have been tested on a wide range of systems

The rationale for putting everything into the head of "-current" so
quickly is that to do otherwise would slow down the speed of the developers.
However, I sometimes question if that speed is forward motion
or just "running in circles".

Richard Wackerbarth