Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:09:54 -0500
From:      "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        <idiot1@netzero.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: directory structuer for a web server

From: "Kirk Bailey" <idiot1@netzero.net>

> > where should one properly place the directory for the web pages
in a web
> > server,
> > and is there a standard name for it? I have a box with several
domains
> > in it, so
> > I created /www off of root, ant /www/www.foo.foo for each domain
> > under /www but
> > I suspect this is not a standard solution. Any advice?

Your option sounds as valid as mine or most any other.  Some other
layouts I've seen have a seperate partition for /home, so the
virtual-
hosted dirs are /home/clientname.

I'm not a security guru, so my reason is not based on security, but
I wouldn't go off of / on my box because / is generally a  much
smaller
partition; on most of my boxes /usr is 20x or more the size of the
rootdir.
I config apache to /usr/local/www/ and use name based VirtualHosts.
So, the server's main pages are addressed at /usr/local/www/htdocs,
and each
virt-hosted client is at /usr/local/www/htdocs/clientabbreviation.
Of course,
I guess if I get too many more clients, this could become clunky.

I link /usr/local/www/htdocs to /www, and each client folder to
/clientabbreviation,
so one relatively short command line gets me anywhere I'd like to be.
I do tend to be careful that folks aren't putting ".." links or
commands
in their dirs or scripts...although this shouldn't create problems,
because a
".." command should go to /usr/local/www/htdocs, I'm pretty paranoid,
because, as I said, I'm not a guru when it comes to security...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.