Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:02:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Doug@gorean.org (Doug)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, DBoune@co.napa.ca.us, bright@rush.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it possible...

Doug wrote,
> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>
> > Boune, Damian wrote,
> > > Thank you Alfred. Much appreciated.
> > >
> > > 	Why do you suggest not creating /usr/home until later?
> >
> > My guess would be, simply because the install is not really designed
> > to work that way.
> >
> > Since people are making recomendations, I'll toss in another
> > $0.02. Even though the setup below will work, I would personally mount
> > the home partition at /home and make /usr/home a symbolic link to
> > /home. That way, the mounting of the home partition does not depend on
> > /usr
>
> 	It's usually done the other way around for a couple reasons.
> Mostly because you don't want regular (untrusted) users to have access to
> the / partition. root's home directory is mounted there, everyone else is
> on /usr. On systems that sell shell access it's common to have a
> completely seperate file system for user home directories.
>
> 	If you don't allow untrusted users on your system, you don't need
> to worry about that precaution, however you may still run into issues of
> disk space.

Huh? Like you mentioned, we _do_ have a separate filesystem for user
home directories (the text with the partiton layout and their
positions in the directory tree was in my original mail, but you
snipped it here). I was just suggesting this be mounted at /home and
sr/homebe symlinked to it, rather than the reverse. The main reason for
this is that one could potentially mount and unmount the /usr
partition (a completely independent filesystem as well) without
needing to worry about the home filesystem.