Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:57:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Ben Black <black@layer8.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC164SX conversion to SRM?

Peter Wemm writes:

 > I'm rather confused about the whole thing.  Is this for initial bootstrap
 > to SRM?  Or is this required for everything?

Yes, this hack is for the initial AlphaBios->SRM bootstrap.

 > What are the V5.4 sx164_5_4.sys and sx164_5_4.exe and fwupdate.exe in
 > the alphapc164sx directory on ftp.digital.com then?  They are 900K+ each.

Those can be used once you're alread running SRM.  See below..

 > Or do you use the new fwupdate.exe *and* the old sx164srm.rom file for
 > initial bootstrap?

"Sort of."

You need to have both the fwupdate.exe and the srm.rom on the same
floppy disk to be able to do the initial switch into the SRM console
from the alphabios. Once you've switched into the SRM console, you can
upgrade your firmware from the normal sources (eg, the ones you mentioned).

The problem is that the srm.rom is hard to come by.  We used an older
fwupdate.exe simply because the one we found at the same site that had
the srm.rom file was broken, and the later ones were too large to fit
on a floppy alongside the srm.rom file.

Drew