Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:29:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD io

> > In point of fact, I worked on a DOS communications program
> > that could do the same on an 8MHz AT.  It took the interrupt
> > for the first character, disabled interrupts, and polled like
> > hell until there was a break in the data.  It's all a matter
> > of how you program it.
>
> Geeze.  Who here has _not_, at some point in their career, written a
> DOS (or CP/M) communications program?

It's not the same thing at all.  Mine was commercial, and it was
the top rated communications program for UNIX systems (beating
out even UUCP) for four years in a row.  It was also the first
shrink-wrapped psoftware ever sold for UNIX systems.  It could
also emulate a VT100 well enough to run EDT or LSE, with you
sitting at a Hazeltine, Televideo, Wyse, IBM 3101, or other
not-at-all-DEC-compatible terminal.  And vice versa.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.