Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:13:50 -0500
From:      "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
To:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'David Johnson'" <djohnson@acuson.com>, "'Rick Hamell'" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Subject:   RE: Newbie packages

I agree, what's the point of having everything divided among 'beginning',
'intermediate', etc.  Just label it with one of these tags.  I am a newbie,
but perhaps not a much as others, how do I know to look at the intermediate
list??  Should I read each list?  If I have to read each list, then why have
some ports listed in each?

Another problem is, what constitutes these categories?  Is Sendmal advanced?
While it might be, it is also a basic service.  Is qmail?  It is easy to
setup but can be rather advanced when you get into some of the advanced
features and add-ins.  I just don't think breaking up the ports/packages
into beginning/intermediate/advanced lists will be that useful.

I agree with another user, who said that meta-categories will help a great
deal, such as mail transfer agents, web servers, office suites, etc.

Someone else mentioned another idea I like a lot.  To have links to web
sites and How-to sites for the various packages.  This would have helped me
a lot when setting up qmail for the first time.

Another good idea is a cross-link list, so that I can look up all the
related packages/ports to qmail, or apache, etc.  Would make it real easy to
find add-ons, etc.

...Michael...