Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:24:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
To:        Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Almost 100% successful upgrade 2.2.8->3.1-BETA

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:

> > I set up the ldconfig in
> > rc.conf and I have also tried command line.  Here is what my libraries
> > look like:
> >
> > /usr/lib -> elf
> > /usr/lib/aout -> aout
> > /usr/local/lib -> aout
> > /usr/local/lib/aout -> empty
> > /usr/X11R6/lib -> aout
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/aout -> empty.
> >

> Just did the same upgrade and it works fine.  What do the ldconfig
> lines in rc.conf look like for you?  The libraries are the same for me
> (at least the X11 libraries) but a small modification to the ldconfig
> lines in rc.conf was enough, now I can run everything.
>
> Manu

ldconfig is still not working, I did upgrade my X to the elf version and I
have spend all day upgrading some of ports, but apparently netscape is
only available in aout, and the command

ldconfig -aout -m /usr/X11R6/lib/aout

still produces the error about there being no /var/run/ld.so.hints.

If anyone used roughly the same sources (2 AM Easter, Saturday Feb. 13)
and is getting ldconfig -aout to work, please tell me what you did, or
should I update again and maybe it will work? I can continue updating
packages manually, but so far none of the alternative browsers I have
tried (primarily kfm and xemacs/w3) support the https protocal, among
other things.

 Jonathan Fosburgh
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498