Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:34:09 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        linux0642@sbcglobal.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [from newbies]: SSH port forwarding and Webmin

On July 12, 2004, Eddie <linux0642@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I have webmin installed on a brand new installation of FreeBSD 5.2.1. I
>tunnel port 10000 to my localhost and connect to wemin like this:
>
>http://127.0.0.1:10000
>
>I always connect to webmin this way, with all *nix machines I admin. This
>does not seem to work with FreeBSD 5.2.1. It does work out of the box for
>other versions (4.7 and 4.8 at least) of FreeBSD though. Is there some rule
>somewhere preventing port forwarding in 5.2? Here's my netstat output:
>
>bsd3c# netstat -nat
>Active Internet connections (including servers)
>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.19.22       69.91.145.220.46031
>ESTABLISHED
>tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.25           *.*                    LISTEN
>tcp4       0      0  *.22                   *.*                    LISTEN
>tcp6       0      0  *.22                   *.*                    LISTEN
>tcp4       0      0  *.10000                *.*                    LISTEN
>udp4       0      0  *.10000                *.*                   udp4
>  0      0  *.514                  *.*                   udp6       0
>0  *.514                  *.*
>
>webmin is running and listening on port 10000 as it's supposed to, and I
>can connect to webmin on the localhost with links. The sshd config file
>gives no indication that tunneling is disabled, and it has not been
>modified in any way.
>
>I would be glad to hear what anyone's thoughts are on this.
>
>Eddie

Hi Eddie,

freebsd-newbies is not meant for technical questions nor replies.
I'm forwarding this along to freebsd-questions. (You should be
CC'ed on any replies...)

My first thought is that maybe 5.2.1 uses a more restrictive
ruleset for firewalling or that you specified a more restrictive
ruleset in rc.conf (firewall_type, which is used by rc.firewall).

You can view current rules with 'ipfw show'.

Of course, this all assumes you've kept ipfw as the firewall.

Also, I could be missing the obvious. (That's one of the reasons
to not ask on -newbies...)

Regards,
Clayton

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access helps fight spam and pop-ups – now 2 months
FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/