Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:57:41 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with X after u/g to 3.1

After u/g 2.2.8 -> 3.1 (from the CD) I had a problem with shelltool(1)
in olvwm. After starting shelltool I could run a few commands OK
(sometimes just a single ``ls'') and then it would hang at the prompt
with the cursor flickering and not responding to the kbd but I could
quit from the frame menu.

On the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) there is an endless stream of:

  TTYSW: pty write failure: bad file descriptor

I put this down to a hybrid aout/ELF system (olvwm and shelltool were
the old binaries), but I have now added another HD and done a complete
clean install so the system is all ELF (and olvwm is now v4.2 instead
of 4.1) but the problem persists. Xterm works OK.

Anyone have any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks.