Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:47:53 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Zyumbilev\, Peter" <peter@aboutsupport.com>, Jack Mc Lauren <jack.mclauren@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installing a new device driver

"Zyumbilev, Peter" <peter@aboutsupport.com> writes:

> On 09/01/2013 13:16, Jack Mc Lauren wrote:
>> This is the output of pciconf -lv :
>>
>>     vendor     = 'FarSite Communications Limited'
>>     device     = 'G.SHDSL Intelligent Sync Comms Card (FarSync DSL-S1)'
>>     class      = simple comms
>>
>> So what is the next step ?
>>

> I would strongly advise connect to the modem via network cable and TCP/IP.

Since the "modem" is a PCI card, plugging it into the computer and
connecting to it over the PCI bus is required. Talking to the device
through the serial driver is correct.

First it's necessary to know whether this card requires a firmware
download. I would guess probably not, but I can't find any definitive
information on it to be sure.

Second it's necessary to know what kind of connection the ISP expects it
to make, in order to configure it. Very likely either mpd or ppp will be
able to work with it. The appropriate serial device may be the one at
the start of the line preceding the pciconf output we were shown.