Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:37:19 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark@grondar.za
Subject:   User PPP working nicely, more questions now

Hi All

Thank you all who responded to my posts and helped me. Everything
works now but I still have two questions and two problems.

This system is running live now acting as an internet gateway between
our company's LAN and our ISP using a US Robotics Courier 28800 modem
on an analogue leased line.

For anyone interested, I have included my ppp.conf and ppp.linkup
although I'm not sure that ppp.linkup is doing anything at all.
iafrica is a standard manual dial definition and pm3-ct is a dial on
demand definition.

What proved to be the key to getting dial on demand going with
dynamic IP's was to use the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 form of address which
means "I want this address, but anything with the first 24 bits the
same is OK"

We were using SCO sys V 3.2 etc etc and it worked perfectly except
that all the tools were way too expensive and I developed a strong
dislike for it, so it got chucked. However, it worked perfectly just
as a router and when the leased line went down it would bring it up
again.

Problem 1: The user PPP on FreeBSD does not reinitialize the
connection if the leased line goes down. The modem and cable are OK
with CD working properly, as demonstrated by the SCO box working OK
for over a year.

PPP is invoked like this:

ppp -auto pm3-ct

from rc.local.

Problem 2:

Even though I have set debug, I have no ppp.log file.

Question 1: Can I run the serial port reliably at 57600 under
FreeBSD? I'm currently running it at 38400 to play safe. The COM port
is a 16550.

Question 2:

If I am using a leased line modem, did I do the right thing in just
removing the \\T for the phone number in the set dial command?

#
default:
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 38400
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 #set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT
\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 # I modified the set dial command for the leased line modem by
 #removing  the \\T
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0
 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
#
pm3-ct:

 set debug chat phase lcp
 set phone 0,6831443
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: Pusername word: Ppassword"
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set timeout 0
 # set timeout to never
 set ifaddr 196.3.254.241 196.7.70.129
 add 0 255.255.255.0 196.7.70.129
#
#

iafrica:
 set phone 0,6831443                                             set
 login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: Pusername word: Ppassword"
 set timeout 120
 # the /24 here means only 24 MSB's are significant
 set ifaddr 196.7.124.231/24 196.7.0.135/24
 add 0  255.255.255.0 HISADDR
#

My ppp.linkup file:

iafrica:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR
#
MYADDR:

 add 0 0 HISADDR

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

          Technical Support Engineer
          Professional Computer Manufacturers
          Amalgamated House, Jordaan St
          Cape Town, South Africa

     Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089