Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:41:46 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Debugging interrupt service routines...

>Can someone give me a definite 'yes' or 'no' to
>"Is it safe to call printf() in the kernel from an interrupt handler?"

It isn't safe, but we do it anyway.  Suppose syscons is doing some
critical operation and you interrupt it and print something.  Who can
say what might happen?  Even ddb uses ordinary console output although
it has its own printf routine (it doesn't really need one - printf
itself is reentrant).  The serial console i/o routines are simpler and
can't crash the system due to interference with ordinary serial i/o
AFAIK.

Bruce