Date:      06 Oct 1998 15:31:20 +0200
From:      Bjoern Groenvall <bg@sics.se>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        markm@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with Kerberos and /etc/auth.conf

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:

> OK, so I'm just going down my sheet of "things that various people
> have reported as being most annoying in FreeBSD" and I'm looking at
> the 'ol "su -K" FAQ, that being the one where people inadvertently
> install kerberos (either by checking too many things off an install
> menu or building from sources) and it subsequently bites the
> non-internet connected by making su pause for a heck of a long time
> trying to contact a kerberos server which doesn't exist.  The
> work-around is to use the -K flag, of course, but this apparently
> remains a well-kept secret despite having been mentioned many times on
> USENET and other forums, and people are basically putting their feet
> into this rabbit hole.  We need to do something! :-)

A simple medicine for this problem can be found in the krb4 source
crypto/kerberosIV/appl/bsd/su.c, i.e the su program that is not built.

    if (use_kerberos) {
        int fd = open (KEYFILE, O_RDONLY);

        if (fd >= 0)
            close (fd);
        else
            use_kerberos = 0;
    }

Cheers,
Björn

PS
Are there any other situations where kerberized programs are known to hang?
DS