Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2018 19:36:45 +0100
From:      Sven Vermeulen <sven@freegw.xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade from 10.4 stable to 11.0 releng fails

Hi,

I am busy trying to upgrade FreeBSD from 10.4 stable to 11.0 releng with
make world.

I did the following steps:

1) svn update (for /base/releng/11.0)
2) make buildworld
3) make buildkernel (using a custom kernel config)
4) make installkernel (using a custom kernel config)

installkernel gives some warnings with kldxref:

kldxref /boot/kernel
kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file aic.ko
kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file atacard.ko
kldxref: unknown metadata record 4 in file atp.ko

I'm not sure if I can safely ignore these warnings.

5) reboot

After the reboot the kernel seems to start fine but after that I get the
following error:

pid 22 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 12
init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

When I run the command /bin/sh /etc/rc on the prompt I get the following
error:

pid 30 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 12
Bad system call

Any idea what is going wrong here?