Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:07:58 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Mike Whalen <mike@writermike.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The correct places to ask these questions...

> Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:35:11 +0000
> To: Mike Whalen <mike@writermike.com>
> Cc: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
> From: Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: The correct places to ask these questions...
>
> In message <32809607223.20011127214935@writermike.com>, Mike Whalen
> <mike@writermike.com> writes
> >After reading the charter for questions and newbies, I got the
> >impression that newbies wasn't a place for technical discussion... but
> >is it?
>
> Not really.  People place different values on the charters but as a rule
> it's wise to pay attention to them.  If you ask a technical question
> here there's a reasonable chance it will get answered, the list isn't
> just absolute beginners, but then you'll also probably get told you
> should have asked on -questions.  Certainly it's a better place to get
> results from, whereas -newbies is a good place to find out about
> how/what to ask.

    My experience shows that the name is a misnomer. Newbies do ask technical
    questions in this list, because they fear those questions are too stupid
    to bother "the powers that be" on the "technical" lists. The reality is
    that no question is too dumb.

    If you let the people on the list know what you have done so far, what
    were the results, etc., you'll get an answer.

    BTW, this is an excellent guide to using technical mailing lists:

FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
9:01PM up 36 days, 7:44, 22 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.07, 0.05