Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:52:29 +0100
From:      Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>
To:        David Holm <david@realityrift.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.3.1_6 linux compilation.

David Holm wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 November 2002 18:19, Marcin Dalecki wrote:
>
>>During a compile of the openoffice-pl package I have just noticed, that
>>1. Well it depends on java...
>>2. java depends on the Linux emulation stuff.
>>3. The automatic fetching of the linux stuff is still looking for RedHat
>>7.1 files at the ftp.redhat.com FTP site.
>>
>>Well I could live with using OpenOffice without *any* java crap.
>>I never noticed any functionality provided by it.
>

> You can add java applets to your documents. I guess it's a portable
> replacement for microsofts macro crap without the security holes.

Thanks for the enlightenment. But how does it come then that
mozilla doesn't need anything similar? Anyway I have never ever encountered
any document using this feature. And in relation to security:
Starting a Java interpreter turns nearly always out to be a DOS attack in
effect ;-) I really don't miss Java from IE6.0 either which fortunately lead
to th death of the applet technology frenzy on the web.

(I'm still fetching the whole Linux emulation environment just
to get openoffice up and running again... grrrr...)
--
	Marcin Dalecki