Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:52:32 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>, "Michael V. Harding" <mvh@netcom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to start "ppp -auto" on boot?

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Michael V. Harding wrote:
> > >
> > > I have "ppp -auto someplace" in my "rc.local" file.  As of the recent
> > > builds, this no longer starts ppp.  This is a problem for me, as I
> > > admin some remote sites, and if they get rebooted, there's no way for
> > > me to contact them.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions as to where to start PPP?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mike Harding
> >
> > I start "ppp -auto" in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and works fine for me
>
> The best place is in /etc/start_if.tun0 (as suggested in the
> handbook).  But remember, you should have a blank ifconfig_tun0= line
> in rc.conf.

Oh?  Why do you need the ifconfig_tun0?  Works for me without.  You  *do*
need to list tun0 in the network_interfaces section.

Danny

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */