Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:17:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Build Frustrations

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 07:19:34PM -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I'm of the realization that FreeBSD is a volunteer project, but there's a
>> recent issue I've hit, and I've contacted nearly EVERYONE I can think of
>> about it to try and fix, and the response I've gotten has been a deafening
>> silence.
>>
>> I'm having trouble building apache2.2.6, it relates I feel to an
>> inconsitent libexpat library under FreeBSD, COMBINED with a badly made and
>> inconsistent apr port, and some libiconv incompatibilities.  I've emailed
>> ports maintainers, APR developers, the general apache mailing list, and
>> gotten nothing.

>> This is a post about building apache2.2 from scratch, not from ports --
>> however it raises several issues with port-installed tools that lead me to
>> believe they may still be at fault.  I apologize in advance for the length
>> of this post, but having all the data is sometimes important.  I believe
>> it's reproducable but I don't have the spare machines to try on.

>> 3) My big problem:
>>

>> I just tried to build apache 2.2.6 from scratch.
>>
>> I, for various reasons of wanting to keep apache separate from other
>> things, for example, to virtualize my apache users, prefer everything in a
>> single dir -- so the ports route isn't for me.
>>

> You can tell ports where to install something.  We used to install
> all of Apache in its own directory to make it easy to manipulate
> in a system we were installing in a lot of places.   Check the ports
> doc and such.

*headdesk, repeatedly*

Apache2 is a complete piece of crap.  "Portable Runtime" my ass.  Was
there something so wrong with APACI?  Apache1.3 built out of the box on
every system in the world.

Using ports is no better.  And again, I'll take anything anyone can offer
to explain half this behavior:

prime# make PREFIX=/usr/local/apache2-fa WITH_MPM=worker
===>   apache-worker-2.2.6_2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.8 -
found
===>   apache-worker-2.2.6_2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.61
- not found
===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.61 in
/usr/ports/devel/autoconf261
===>   Returning to build of apache-worker-2.2.6_2
===>   apache-worker-2.2.6_2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/libtool -
found
===>   apache-worker-2.2.6_2 depends on shared library: expat.6 - found
===>   apache-worker-2.2.6_2 depends on shared library: iconv.3 - found
===>  Configuring for apache-worker-2.2.6_2
found apr source: srclib/apr
found apr-util source: srclib/apr-util
rebuilding srclib/apr/configure
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf not found.
            You need autoconf version 2.50 or newer installed
            to build APR from SVN.
./buildconf failed for apr
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache22.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/apache22.
prime#

ls /var/db/pkg | grep auto
autoconf-2.13.000227_5
autoconf-2.59_2
autoconf-2.61
autoconf-2.61_2
autoconf-wrapper-20071109
automake-1.10
automake-1.4.6_2
automake-1.9.6

--

"If you need web space, give him a hard drive.  If you need to do something really heavy, build him a computer."

-Ilzarion, late friday night