Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:13:40 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ezjail -vs- "Do it yourself" jail?

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a FreeBSD 8.0 server to run Apache that will be
> facing the nasty and unforgiving WWW.
>
> I have several good books on Apache that describe how to set up the
> jail, when I came across several websites that reference the "ezjail"
> package.
>
> Are there some caveats or downsides to using the ezjail route for
> setting up my server with Apache? It sure sounds like an easier way to
> go and less "goof-proof", but as we all know, easier is not always
> better!

It depends on how you're using it.  If all you intend on having is a single
jail with apache running in it, then it may be easier to use it standard
method.  Remember that ezjail is just a wrapper around FreeBSD jails, a
management utility if you will.  You can have both ezjail jails and
traditional jails running concurrently.  You can experiment with both to
find out which method you like.  I find ezjail more convenient in situation
where there are multiples jails running on a system.  I imagine if you have
found a use for one jail, it won't be long until you find need for another.

--
Adam Vande More