Date:      Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:58:44 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP aliases and forcing outbound IP

patrick wrote:
> Should I assume by the lack of replies that this just isn't possible
> under FreeBSD? Seems like it should be doable.

What happens if you do:

    route add certainhost 10.0.1.111

...?  What happens if you create a jail and run your task from inside there
using the jail's IP as the aliased IP?

Also, what happens if you bind the service that you care about to that IP
rather than to all?  It's not clear if this may applicable as you talk about
outbound connections, but Apache, SMTP servers and the like can.

--
-Chuck