Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 21:16:19 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ccsanady@iastate.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM/Buffer cache sizing... (e.g. for serving NFS)

#define quoting(John S. Dyson)
// There are two kinds of caching in FreeBSD, (write-back) and
// (write-through, read) caching.  Note that the write-back caching
// is limited to a reasonable size (to keep the disk from being
// overwhelmed by pending write requests), but the other cache
// is all of memory (including .text and mmapped files.)  The two
// caches are physically the same and totally coherent, but logically
// slightly different.  FreeBSD will not sandbag your disk subsystem
// with pending write requests.  This design keeps the 'sync' command
// from freezing your system :-).

Let me try to understand.  The write-back cache is has as small
timeout, after which it starts writing.  After writing, those pages
are sent to the write-through cache, in case they are used again.
If you would wait for sync() or for a memory leak to start writing,
all those writes would compete in time without need.  Also, system
stabilty would worse because more data is kept desnecessarily in
memory for more time.  Is this the point ?

A question somewhat related: in top(8), what's the diffence between
cache and buffer memory ?  I've read that active memory is also
used for cacheing, so how can we measure if a machine would perform
better with more memory for cacheing ?

TIA,

					Jonny

--