Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:24:07 +0700
From:      Jahan <jahan@pc.jaring.my>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Need for reinvented circle to stop

When I install a software, I get other softwares+libraries to build and
compile the new software. Every software needs diff. libs with same (
well, almost) functions.Eg. When I installed smail , it down loaded some
libraries +applications. When downloaded hylafax , it installed plenty
of fonts and etc, X downloaded its own fonts and etc. The newly
installed libs are mostly same functions that exist in my system with
diff name.

If there is a problem in UNIX, this is most probably one of them. Now I
have libsocket++, tcp_wrappers and mostly more libs with same
functionalities.

To resolv these problems, why not have generic libs ? So that there are
no repeatation and duplicate libs (never mind the duplicate
applications).

What all the guru's think ?

Jahan