Date:      Wed, 19 May 2004 09:35:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Williams <dan@bigw.org>
To:        M Gollihue <mike@sassie.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.9 on AlphaServer 1000a/400

Hi,

I'm quite able to run FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE on my AS 1000a 5/400, of course
I don't have a Mylex card but only the onboard SCSI and an Adaptec
2940U.  I have not tried 5.2 yet, but some of the later 4.x series builds
had serious issues with the onboard ISP SCSI driver that caused the
machine to forever loop during discovery of the adapter.

Anyway, give 5.1-RELEASE a try and see if that works for you, to at least
pin down the versions that have problems.

Dan