Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 12:42:35 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIOX Analog driver statistical analysis

> I wonder just how much faster a PPro or Pentium is then a NexGen machine
> (this is in purely integer performance since I am not doing any
> calculations in the user process).

I had a NexGen P90 prior to this PPro-166. The NexGen crunched the
Bovine RC5-56 client at about 90k keys/sec. This PPro-166/512k is
currently doing 420k. But a couple of days ago I upgraded to the
11/11/97 Bovine client and got several days of 460k keys/sec until I
got the great idea to update my late October 2.2.5 kernel. Am back to
420k keys/sec. Don't know what it was, the old kernel doesn't run
faster any more. Possibly I got the caches loaded just right or
something? Maybe I hit a series of easy to crunch keys?

The NexGen did "build world" in the 7 to 9 hour range. Moving the exact
same memory, HD, 2940, video card, case and PS to the PPro yeilds 2:45
with sync mount, 2:15 async.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net