Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:25:37 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf host selection uses only short host name?

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 08:05:59AM -0600, Shawn Barnhart wrote:

> I do.  It strikes me that I should be able to select on the fqdn.  The
> manpage says "hostname", which I've always assumed to be the fqdn.  The
> default output of hostname(1) on my 4.2-STABLE machines is the fqdn.

The matching is done on the hostname, exactly as it shows up in
the log messages produced by syslogd. Maybe "hostname tag" would
be a better desctiption. When generating the hostname tag it uses
the FQND if the domain's don't match or the short name if the
domains match. If you turn off resolving with the "-n" option
you can use IP addresses.

	David.