Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 14:52:43 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

On Mon, Oct 20, 1997 at 06:25:54PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 1997 at 09:24:08AM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> >
> > I tried to build a world again and got stuck while near being trough:
> >
> > uudecode < /a/src/share/tabset/xerox1730-lm.uu
> > uudecode < /a/src/share/tabset/zenith29.uu
> > ===> share/termcap
> > ex - /a/src/share/termcap/termcap.src < /a/src/share/termcap/reorder > /dev/null
> > Bad system call - core dumped
> > *** Error code 140
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >

> > (This is on a 2.2.2-RELEASE system)
> >
> > Is it some kind of hen-egg problem? Would building a kernel first
> > lead to other problems? Or am I just out of sync with cvsup?
>
> This is almost a FAQ.  Build a new kernel first, boot with it, then
> you should be able to continue.

Not quite, Greg. Normally I know what to do when proc.h has been changed
(ps/w etc. weirdnesses) but in this case I'm not sure whether
building a new kernel (3.0-current) and booting it on top of a
set of (up to then) 2.2.2-binaries would be a could remedy here.

I will more likely follow the advice of your forespeaker, namely
excluding the termcap subdir from the worldbuild.